>>>Due to circumstances beyond our control Bum Rush the Boards Hip-Hop Chess Tournament has been rescheduled to Fall 2013.<<<
How to Rank a Player
Beginning – Players who can:
- Demonstrate how to set up a chessboard.
- Demonstrate how the pieces move and capture.
- Explain checkmate and stalemate.
- Demonstrates how to castle both sides.
- Demonstrate the ability to play a game of chess to completion.
Intermediate – Players who can:
- Explain the relative value of the pieces and how that can be used to evaluate an exchange.
- Explain the touch move rule.
- Demonstrate the proper way to play with a clock.
- Demonstrate how to capture en passant.
- Demonstrate mate with a King & Queen vs. King, King & 2 Rooks vs. King, and King & Rook vs. King.
Advanced – Players who can:
- Explain the general principles of the opening.
- Demonstrate how to read and record a chess game.
- Understand the importance of, and apply, an appropriate thought process.
- Understand the importance of, and apply, good time management.
- Demonstrate basic tactics: fork, pin, back-rank mate, discovered attack.
- Record their moves using algebraic notation.